LGBTQ+ at BHP
BHP has established an employee inclusion group, called Jasper, for their lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and others (LGBT+) community and its allies.
- The name of the group was inspired by the mineral rock jasper, which is known for its unique multi-coloured patterns. The group was formally endorsed by BHP’s Global Inclusion and Diversity Council in 2017 and is sponsored by two BHP Executive team members.
- Jasper has more than 1,600 members and eight local chapters across Australia, South America, Asia the United States and Canada.
- Jasper’s aim is to drive a safe, inclusive and supportive work environment for everyone by providing advice on ways to reduce bias and ensure LGBT+ people are respected and valued irrespective of their sexual orientation, gender identity or intersex variability.
- Jasper also celebrates days of significance, including IDAHOBIT (International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia, Intersexism and Transphobia) and Wear It Purple Day (awareness day for young people).
- In FY2021, Jasper’s ‘Bring your whole self to work’ campaign advocated for visibility and inclusion of LGBT+ employees and contractors and underlined the importance of respectful behaviours.
- In FY2022, we continued to close gaps for LGBT+ inclusion, such as releasing guidelines and implementing support for transgender and gender diverse recruitment.
Visit our website for more information about our committment to strengthing our inclusion and diversity culture - Inclusion and diversity | BHP.